Monday, January 31, 2011

Observant

Etymology: curious, related to cure, once meant "carefully observant." Maybe a tonic of curiosity would counter my numb hand and drive my absurd mind to think in new ways. Absurd, by the way, derives from a Latin world meaning "deaf, dulled." Maybe life drawing will provide a therapy through observation of the ordinary and obvious, a means whereby the outer eye opens and inner one. Literally. This class will be a view into the body. And my view of the body will soon become a view of it's anatomy within. I will learn how the spine twists and turns and how it creates the core of our being. Drawing had become a little redundant and expected, but now, with a new figure and a new mindset, it has become eye-opening.... inside and out. Life seems ordinary and obvious because we experience it everyday. But life is truly beyond ordinary and obvious. We are here and breathing, and our body moves and reacts and grows through a will of its own. The body is not ordinary. It is extraordinary. I am now curious about the body. I am now carefully observant.

No comments:

Post a Comment